Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Aug 5, 2021

A Louisville man who used social media to incite a riot that culminated in violence at the Second Street Bridge on the same day as the U.S. Capitol attack has pleaded guilty to federal charges.

As the Jan. 6 riot erupted in Washington, John Subleski, now 33, organized blockades that same day in downtown Louisville with at least two other members of the United Pharaoh Guard, a local militia that defines themselves as anti-government "boogaloo bois" and provided armed security for protesters upset over the police shooting of Breonna Taylor.

At about 7 p.m., protesters gathered at Second Street and West Broadway, where they blocked the street, then threatened and assaulted motorists that tried to pass, federal prosecutors say. Then roughly 20 people, including Subleski, blocked the Second Street Bridge across the Ohio River.

When an SVU sped through the intersection, Subleski fired his rifle at it then quickly left and spoke to his lawyer, court records show.

Read more: Louisville Courier-Journal

The Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Office took a man into custody after a domestic disturbance call.

Deputies and Indiana State Police troopers were dispatched to a home in the 6900 block of Church Street in Stockwell around 9:30 p.m.

Law enforcement tried to make contact with people inside the home and then saw a man leave the home and go into a shed in the back yard.

The man, identified as 35-year-old James Paxton of Stockwell, told police he poured gasoline all over himself and the shed.

The Tippecanoe County Special Response Team (SRT) was then sent to the scene as well as the Hostage/Crisis Negotiator team.

Police say while speaking with negotiators, Paxton threw a homemade explosive device at deputies. It did not detonate. The Tippecanoe Bomb Squad later rendered the device safe.

Read more: Fox 59 (Indiana)

A terrorist convict who launched an attack 10 days after his release from prison had boasted in jail of his intention to join ISIS and kill the Queen, an inquest has heard.

Sudesh Amman, 20, from Queensbury, North London, was under surveillance when he grabbed a 20cm carving knife from a shop and stabbed two passers-by in Streatham High Road in February last year.

He was shot dead by armed covert surveillance officers who chased him down the street, 62 seconds after the attack began.

Amman had pleaded guilty in November 2018 to 13 offences of obtaining and distributing material that could be used for terrorist purposes and was jailed for three years and four months.

Read more: Sky News

Polish authorities are preparing measures to confront violence inspired by anti-vaccine groups after an inoculation center was set ablaze overnight in a town in the country’s southeast.

Health Minister Andrzej Niedzielski, who traveled to the site in the town of Zamosc on Monday, called the deed an “act of terror” against the state and “a clash of civilization against barbarity.”

The incident is another example of the anti-vax movement becoming bolder in its attempts to undermine Poland’s inoculation campaign. Videos have spread on social media in recent days of people verbally abusing paramedics and vaccination center workers from other Polish towns.

Poland has vaccinated nearly 17.5 million of its citizens, which authorities say is short of the goal needed to achieve herd immunity. The government hopes vaccinations will help reduce the scale of hospitalizations during a new wave of the pandemic that is expected to emerge in the coming weeks.

Read more: Bloomberg

A military court on Tuesday convicted a Palestinian man with US citizenship of murder, for shooting dead a Jewish student in the West Bank.

The court “convicted the terrorist Muntasir Shalabi, based on his confession, of the crime of intentional manslaughter — equivalent to the offense of murder,” the Israel Defense Forces said.

In addition, Shalabi was convicted of “several counts of attempted intentional manslaughter, and possession of a weapon and obstruction of justice,” according to a military statement.

Shalabi, 44, was arrested by Israeli forces in May after he opened fire on passengers waiting at a bus stop at Tapuah Junction, south of Nablus, in the northern West Bank.

The attack killed Yehuda Guetta, 19, a student at a yeshiva in the Itamar settlement, and wounded two of his friends.

Read more: Times of Israel