Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Apr 22, 2021

A judge will decide the fate of a man convicted of trying to carry out a suicide bombing in the Times Square Subway Station, only to have it blow up in his own face.

35 years in prison is the defendant Akayed Ullah's best-case scenario.

That's what his lawyer is asking for, but prosecutors want a life sentence.

Surveillance video from December 2017 showed Ullah detonate a bomb that was strapped to his chest inside the Times Square subway station.

Read more: ABC 7 New York

The Trump administration's Department of Homeland Security surged hundreds of federal agents to Portland, Oregon, last summer with incomplete training and missing equipment, a new watchdog report says.

The department's inspector general flagged several major concerns with the deployment of more than 700 officers, including failure to properly train them to police riots and to conduct crowd control operations, raising concerns of increased risk to both officers and the public.

Tensions grew in Portland over the summer after federal officers arrived in the city, which had experienced prolonged and at times violent protests over demands for racial justice and police accountability.

Read more: CNN

A car bomb blast late on Wednesday ripped through a luxury hotel’s parking area in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta, killing four people and wounding 11, officials said.

China’s ambassador to Pakistan was staying at the hotel, but was not there when the bomb exploded, said Pakistan’s interior Minister, Sheikh Rashid Ahmad.

Provincial Home Minister Ziaullah Lango said the envoy was fine.

“An explosion has rocked the parking area of the Serena Hotel,” police official Nasir Malik told Reuters, saying 11 people had been wounded. An official at a local civil hospital, Waseem Baig, said four people had died, and “several others are in critical condition.”

Read more: CNBC

A man was killed in a standoff with police that began Tuesday night after he called 911 and claimed to have a rifle and a bomb that he threatened to detonate, according to the Worcester county district attorney’s office.

Police fatally shot Phet Gouvonvong, 31, of Worcester, during a confrontation on Grafton Street around midnight, District Attorney Joseph Early said at a news conference. Negotiators had been talking to Gouvonvong for half an hour when he made “furtive movements” toward officers, prompting the shooting, Early said.

The encounter began when Gouvonvong called 911 around 10:30 p.m. and said he had a rifle and an explosive device. Police found him on Grafton Street and said he was wearing body armor and had a backpack and what appeared to be a rifle.

Read more: AP

A third Delawarean has been charged with federal crimes tied to the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

Anthony Antonio, 27, surrendered to police in Delaware Tuesday and is charged with multiple crimes tied to his presence when rioters attacked police, burst their way into the Capitol and disrupted the certification of the 2020 presidential election results.

An affidavit signed by an FBI agent seeking charges against Antonio states that the Delaware native climbed scaffolding outside the Capitol, briefly entered the building through a broken window, poured water toward an officer being dragged down steps by rioters, got ahold of a riot shield and gas mask and made threatening statements toward officers.

Read more: Delaware Online