Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Feb 11, 2021

Two men were indicted Wednesday for making a terroristic threat for their alleged roles in an hour-long bomb scare near a Queens mall that resulted in evacuations and ended up being a hoax, the Queens district attorney said.

Louis Shenker and Taylor Lyne both face felony charges for the incident on Jan. 4.

According to the charges, a security guard at the Queens Place Mall in Elmhurst spotted Shenker and Lyne shortly before 5 a.m. standing next to a black Tesla with a Nevada loaner license plate. The car was left parked on a spiral ramp between garage levels. The hood, trunk and doors of the vehicle were all open, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said, and the pair were said to have connected an electric bike to the car.

About two hours later, another mall employee saw the car was covered in blankets and cardboard boxes, along with a Black Lives Matter sign. There was also a device with wires coming out of it, and had a similar makeup to a bomb that could go off at any time, Katz said.

Read more: NBC New York

The self-identified Virginia Ku Klux Klan leader accused of driving a truck through Black Lives Matter protesters over the summer was sentenced to 3 years and 8 months in prison on Tuesday.

Harry H. Rogers, a 37-year-old from Hanover, pleaded guilty on Thursday to three counts of assault and one count each of destruction of property and hit and run.

There were no fatalities or life-threatening injuries reported as a result of the incident, which occurred June 7 in Richmond.

Read more: Washington Post

A man was sent to the hospital and people were evacuated from their homes Wednesday morning after a welfare check led to the discovery of at least eight homemade bombs, one of which went off in a San Joaquin County home, the sheriff's office said.

Deputies went to the 1900 block of Bristol Avenue in the Stockton area after dispatchers received a request for an ambulance, according to the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office. "Due to the evasiveness of the caller," a deputy also went to the home, the sheriff's office said in a news release.

There the deputy found a man who had been working on one of the devices, which had exploded and injured his hand. He was taken to an area hospital and was expected to undergo surgery, the sheriff's office said.

Read more: KCRA (Sacramento)