Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Oct 14, 2021

A man was sentenced Wednesday, Oct. 13, to four years in prison after his son’s homemade bomb exploded in a Newaygo High School classroom

David Robert Daniel Saylor Sr.’s then-16-year-old son suffered serious injuries and lost both thumbs at the knuckle. Several other students and a teacher suffered less-serious injuries.

U.S. District Judge Janet Neff wasn’t overly impressed when she heard that Saylor, a father of three, was a hard worker who helped support his parents and a sister.

Read more: MLive (Michigan)

The Department of Homeland Security and partners have been working to strengthen critical lines of communication in confronting terrorist threats as “some of the information- sharing relationships the department had forged over the years had atrophied,” DHS Counterterrorism Coordinator John Cohen told lawmakers during a discussion on agencies surging resources and collaboratively moving forward with strategically confronting the domestic terrorism threat.

The Sept. 29 hearing was the sixth in a series of hearings that the House Oversight and Reform Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties has been holding on white supremacist movements and activities. 

“While we certainly are facing a threat that has an organizational dynamic, it involves groups of individuals that coalesce around and even engage in violent and destructive behavior in furtherance of extremist or a blend of extremist beliefs. It’s important to remember that it’s also a threat that is very individualized in nature,” Cohen said. “It has been repeatedly assessed by DHS and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, when looked at from a lethal perspective, the most significant terrorism-related threat facing the U.S. today comes primarily from lone offenders, individuals who engage in violent activity inspired by extremist beliefs, or a blend of extremist beliefs, or a blend of extremist beliefs and personal grievances that are most often cultivated through the consumption of online content.”

Read more: Homeland Security Today

Two U.S. Postal Service workers were fatally shot Tuesday at a postal facility in Memphis and a third employee identified as the shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot, authorities said. It was the third high-profile shooting in or near that west Tennessee city in weeks.

U.S. Postal Inspector Susan Link said the three postal workers were found dead after the shooting at the East Lamar Carrier Annex in a prominent Memphis neighborhood. FBI spokeswoman Lisa-Anne Culp said the shooting was carried out by a third postal service worker, who shot him or herself.

No identities or motive were released by Link or Culp at a brief news conference late Tuesday afternoon.

The shooting occurred at a post office facility in the historic Orange Mound neighborhood, southeast of downtown Memphis. The carrier annex is only used by employees.

Read more: AP

A man arrested over a deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway had converted to Islam and there were fears he had been radicalised, police have said.

The 37-year-old Danish citizen is accused of killing four women and a man on Wednesday night in the southern town of Kongsberg.

He was arrested and questioned for several hours overnight.

Regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said officers had last been in touch with the man in 2020.

The victims were all aged between 50 and 70, Chief Saeverud told reporters on Thursday morning.

"We are investigating among other things to determine whether this was a terrorist attack," he added.

Read more: BBC News

At least three people have died and several have been injured as heavy gunfire broke out at a demonstration in Beirut calling for the removal of a judge leading a probe into the deadly August 2020 port blast.

State news agency NNA reported three deaths during the clashes in the Lebanese capital. An Emergency Room doctor at Beirut's al-Sahel hospital who did not want to be named earlier told CNN that the hospital has received one fatality and nine injuries since the violence erupted.

Hundreds of supporters of Iran-backed Hezbollah and its main Shia ally, Amal, were marching towards the city's Palace of Justice on Thursday when shots were fired at the protesters from an unknown location, forcing demonstrators and journalists to take cover, according to an army statement and local broadcasters.

Read more: CNN