Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Jul 9, 2020

A Lebanese businessman serving a five-year sentence in the United States for providing millions of dollars to the militant Hezbollah group arrived Wednesday in Beirut after his early release, local media reported.

Kassim Tajideen was sentenced last year in a federal court in Washington for his role in a money laundering conspiracy aimed at evading U.S. sanctions. He was arrested in Morocco and extradited to the U.S. in 2017, where he was charged with laundering money for Hezbollah.

A State Department official said the U.S. government had opposed Tajideen's motion for compassionate release but in the end the court ruled in his favor. Tajideen, who was designated as a terrorist in 2009, would remain on a terrorist list and his assets would remain blocked, the official added.

Read more: Minneapolis Star Tribune

A former member of a terrorist group that plotted truck bombings in Toronto to protest Canada’s military mission in Afghanistan is appealing a government decision to place him on the no-fly list.

Saad Gaya was part of the Toronto 18 terrorism conspiracy that was thwarted by police in 2006. He was released from prison and has become a lawyer who speaks against extremist violence.

He discovered he was on Canada’s no-fly list when he tried to board a flight to Montreal, where he was to attend a meeting at the Centre for the Prevention of Radicalization Leading to Violence.

Read more: Global News (Canada)

Extremists have "fully exploited" the coronavirus pandemic to "breed hate" through "dangerous conspiracy theories", according to a report.

Sara Khan, who leads the Commission for Countering Extremism, warned that the impact of "extremist propaganda and disinformation to our democracy cannot be overstated".

She said that fake news had been spread by far-right and far-left groups as well as Islamists during the outbreak, and found that hateful extremists used "divisive, xenophobic and racist narratives to sow division and undermine the social fabric of our country".

Read more: Sky News (UK)

Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) that the conflict in Libya has entered a new phase "with foreign interference reaching unprecedented levels".

Libya was plunged into chaos by the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed its longtime leader, Muammar Gaddafi.

Since 2014, the oil-rich country has been split, with an internationally-recognised government controlling the capital, Tripoli, and the northwest, while renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar in Benghazi controls the east.

Haftar is supported by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt and Russia, while the government is backed by Turkey.

Read more: Al Jazeera