Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Dec 8, 2020

A car bomb attack wounded at least 35 people, including women and children, in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province early Monday.
 
Provincial officials said the attack near the headquarters of Daman district police was carried out using a Mazda mini truck. The bombing damaged parts of the building along with several nearby houses. Fifteen civilians became victims of the attack along with several police officers, operatives of Afghanistan’s intelligence agency the National Directorate of Security, and the district police chief, Abdul Wadoud.
 
Shadi Khan, the chief of the district, said local officials were in a meeting inside when the bomb detonated.

Read more: Voice of America

Brenton Tarrant, the man who carried out last year's deadly assaults on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, was able to amass an arsenal of weapons without alerting authorities, whose focus was on potential threats from Islamist terrorism rather than right-wing extremism, according to a new report.

It's one of the findings outlined in a 792-page report released Tuesday by the Royal Commission, New Zealand's highest level of inquiry. It concludes that the country's national security agencies spent an "inappropriate" amount of time focusing on the potential threat of Islamic terrorists in the months leading up to the attack.

The commission also criticized lax gun laws, lackluster counter-terrorism efforts, "fragile" intelligence agencies, and ineffective leadership leading up to the attack.

Read more: NPR

The International Hub on Behavioural Insights to Counter Terrorism will use cognitive psychology, behavioural economics and social sciences to improve understanding about these ongoing threats to global peace and security.

“It will help us understand why and how people become radicalized to violence and where we can intervene most effectively to halt the radicalization process,” said Mr. Voronkov, head of the UN Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), speaking from New York.

“Applying a behavioural lens to counter-terrorism, the Hub will enable us to identify risk and resilience factors and develop empirically validated interventions for policymakers and practitioners.”

Read more: UN News

A Boulder County man accused of throwing improvised explosive devices at deputies in 2018 has been sent to prison after taking a plea deal in his case.

Daniel Proffitt, 49, pleaded guilty to use of an explosive device and first-degree assault on a peace officer and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Proffitt’s case took a long time to resolve because he was ruled incompetent to proceed in early 2019, leading to a delay while doctors worked to restore him to competency.

Proffitt was only deemed fit for the case to resume this summer, according to court records.

Read more: Boulder Daily Camera

A Cuban-born man accused of supporting a foreign terrorist group by distributing propaganda videos on social media is being held in a Miami federal lock-up, according to court records.

Jonathan Guerra Blanco, 23, was arrested this fall at his home near Fort Myers, denied bail and charged this past week in Miami with providing material support to ISIS, a spin-off of al-Qaeda that has gained notoriety through its Middle East conflicts and decapitations of Western hostages.

Guerra, a naturalized U.S. citizen who faces up to 20 years in prison on the single terrorism charge, has an arraignment set for Jan. 7. His defense attorney, Ana Davide, said Guerra plans to work out a plea deal with the prosecutors in the counter-terrorism section of the U.S. Attorney’s Office to limit his potential punishment.

Read more: Miami Herald