Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Nov 9, 2020

China responded with anger after the U.S. State Department removed from its list of terrorist organizations a largely defunct Uighur separatist group that Beijing partly blames for ethnic tensions in its remote northwest.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo ordered the delisting of the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, a group that once advocated for an independent state in China’s Xinjiang region, on Oct. 20, according to the latest issue of the Federal Register, published Thursday.

Read more: Wall Street Journal

Austrian police made 30 arrests in more than 60 raids on Monday as part of an anti-terrorism operation, but there was no link to a deadly attack in Vienna a week ago in which a convicted jihadist killed four people, prosecutors said.

Austria has formally remanded in custody 10 suspects in connection with the attack by a 20-year-old gunman who had previously been convicted of trying to join Islamic State in Syria. Police shot him dead minutes after he opened fire on bars and bystanders in central Vienna.

Monday's raids on apartments, houses, businesses and association premises in four Austrian provinces targeted people suspected of belonging to or supporting the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood, the prosecutors' office in the southern city of Graz said.

Read more: US News & World Report

Unidentified gunmen have killed at least 11 people and wounded eight others, including soldiers, in an attack on an Iraqi army post in western Baghdad, police sources and medics said on Monday.

Assailants in four vehicles attacked the post in the capital’s southwestern district of al-Radhwaniya using grenades and automatic weapons, sources said.

The Iraqi military said in a statement a “terrorist group” had attacked a post of government-backed Sunni militiamen, killing four people and wounding three.

The army and police forces started an operation in search of the attackers.

Read more: Al Jazeera

Officials in Chelsea, Massachusetts, are warning the public after fraudulent documents threatened some residents with deportation.

The alarming notice, falsely claiming to be from the Department of Homeland Security, targeted immigrants in the city. Police are telling residents it's a scam.

"Evidently, there was some type of fraudulent communication that was put together by someone or some group that went around," said Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes.

"That's scary and crazy," said resident Ivis Sanchez.

"It had on the letterhead, said 'Department of Homeland Security,' it said 'Notice of removal,' that you were going to be removed for either crossing the border, staying here beyond legal visitation and so forth, and other reasons," Kyes explained.

Read more: NBC Boston