Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Nov 4, 2020

Police in Slovakia have revealed that "suspects from Austria" tried to buy ammunition there in the summer and that Austrian authorities were tipped off.

Four people were fatally shot and 23 others wounded when a gunman went on the rampage in the centre of Vienna on Monday night.

It has since emerged he had been released early from a jail sentence for trying to join jihadists in Syria.

Reports suggest his trip to buy bullets failed as he had no gun licence.

According to German media, the 20-year-old, who was shot dead by police, travelled to neighbouring Slovakia in July to buy ammunition for a Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle but returned empty-handed. 

Slovak police confirmed that they had passed the message on to their Austrian colleagues immediately, adding they would not comment further. 

Read more: BBC News


 

Voters around the U.S. registered just a few complaints of alleged intimidation at polling places by late Tuesday, leaving experts and voting rights advocates thankful that threats by extremist groups to converge on polling places did not materialize.

But they were still on guard for the hours, days and weeks to come.

Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, which runs a national voting complaint hotline, told reporters late Tuesday afternoon there were “very isolated and sporadic” reports of alleged intimidation, including armed individuals at polling places.

“Fortunately this hasn’t been a systematic or widespread issue,” she said. “We certainly were prepared for this being a bigger problem than it proved to be today.”

Read more: USA Today

Britain raised its terror threat level to "severe" on Tuesday, its second-highest level, following recent attacks in Austria and France.

The threat level of severe means an attack in the United Kingdom is considered highly likely. The level had previously been at "substantial", meaning an attack is thought to be likely.

The decision announced by Home Secretary Priti Patel came after a man who had previously tried to join the Islamic State group stormed through the center of the Austrian capital of Vienna armed with an automatic rifle Monday night, killing four people before police shot and killed him.

Read more: NBC News

Austrian police raided 18 properties and arrested 14 people in a massive manhunt on Tuesday for possible accomplices of a convicted jihadist who shot dead four people and injured 22 others in a late-night rampage in the centre of Vienna.

The gunman, who was killed by police minutes after opening fire on crowded bars on Monday, had been released from jail less than a year ago. He was identified as Kujtim Fejzulai, a 20-year-old Austrian who also held North Macedonian nationality.

It was the first such militant attack in Vienna in a generation, and the government pledged robust action.

Read more: Reuters

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility on Tuesday for an attack in Vienna that killed at least four people, without providing evidence, in a statement from the group's Amaq News Agency posted on Telegram.

The group's statement was accompanied by a picture of a bearded man, named "Abu Dagnah Al-Albany", saying he attacked crowds in central Vienna on Monday with a gun and a machine gun, before he was killed himself by Austrian police.

The gunman had been released from jail less than a year ago.

An elderly man and woman, a young passer-by and a waitress were killed, and 22 people including a policeman were wounded, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer told a news conference. Vienna's mayor said three people were still in critical condition.

Read more: France 24