Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Nov 23, 2020

Authorities arrested a 23-year-old man in an attack at a Nebraska fast food restaurant in which two employees were shot and killed, two were wounded and officers responding to a report of a possible bomb inside a moving truck in the parking lot arrived to find the vehicle on fire.

Roberto Carlos Silva Jr., of Omaha, was booked into Sarpy County jail early Sunday on suspicion of first-degree murder and first-degree arson in Saturday night's attack at a Sonic Drive-in restaurant in Bellevue, the Omaha World-Herald reported. Silva was being held without bond Sunday before making his initial court appearance.

In a news release early Sunday, Lt. Andy Jashinske said Bellevue police received a call at 9:23 p.m. Saturday about a possible bomb in a U-Haul truck parked outside of the restaurant in the Omaha suburb. A minute later, the call was updated to a possible shooting, he said.

Read more: ABC News

Police announced Sunday evening that they arrested a 15-year-old suspect in connection with a shooting at a Wisconsin mall Friday that left eight people injured.

The Wauwatosa Police Department announced in a statement that the unidentified teen was picked up earlier in the day.

Officers also found a firearm that the boy allegedly used during the incident, police said.

On Friday afternoon, officers responded to reports of shots fired at the Mayfair Mall's lower level, and discovered seven adults and one teenager who had been injured, according to police.

Read more: ABC News

Yemeni Houthi forces fired a missile that struck a Saudi Aramco oil company distribution station in Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea city of Jeddah, a Houthi military spokesman said on Monday.

There was no immediate Saudi confirmation of the claim. The Houthi spokesman, Yahya Sarea, said foreign companies and residents in Saudi should exercise caution as “operations will continue”.

The strike had been carried out in response to the Saudi-led coalition’s actions in Yemen, he said.

Read more: Reuters

Fears of attacks by extremists prevented voting in many parts of Burkina Faso on Sunday, as the country went to the polls for presidential and legislative elections marred by ongoing violence linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group.

Election and local government officials told The Associated Press that certain polling stations in the Center North, Sahel and East regions that were expected to open had not, and those that did had to close early because of the fear of attacks.

Two polling stations in the capital, Ouagadougou, also didn’t open, according to Halidou Ouedraogo, president of Codel, a local organization monitoring the elections. He wouldn’t elaborate on why.

Read more: AP

The al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) group has chosen a new leader to replace Abdelmalek Droukdel, who was killed in June by French forces, the SITE monitoring group reported.

Algerian Abu Obaida Yusuf al-Annabi, head of AQIM’s “Council of Dignitaries”, was named as Droukdel’s successor, SITE said.

AQIM displayed the body of its former leader for the first time in a video, it added on Saturday.

Al-Annabi has been on the US’s “international terrorist” blacklist since September 2015, according to the Counter Extremism Project.

Read more: Al Jazeera