Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Dec 17, 2016

China's Defence Ministry said on Saturday it had been in talks with the United States about returning an underwater drone taken by a Chinese naval vessel in the South China Sea, but the U.S. was not helping by "hyping up" the issue.

The drone was taken on Thursday, the first seizure of its kind in recent memory, about 50 nautical miles northwest of Subic Bay off the Philippines, just as the USNS Bowditch was about to retrieve the unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV), U.S. officials said.

The Defence Ministry said a Chinese naval vessel discovered a piece of "unidentified equipment" and checked it to prevent any navigational safety issues, before discovering it was a U.S. drone.

"China decided to return it to the U.S. side in an appropriate manner, and China and the U.S. have all along been in communication about it," the ministry said on its website.

"During this process, the U.S. side's unilateral and open hyping up is inappropriate, and is not beneficial to the smooth resolution of this issue. We express regret at this," it added.

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump weighed in to the row on Saturday, tweeting: "China steals United States Navy research drone in international waters - rips it out of water and takes it to China in unprecedented act."

Read more:  Reuters

Five female security staff at Kandahar airport have been killed as they were travelling to work, officials say.

The women - who were in charge of searching female travellers - and their minivan driver died when two gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on their bus.

No-one has admitted the attack.

Women in Afghanistan are often targeted by the Taliban, but a spokesman for the Islamist militant group, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, denied that it had any involvement in the shootings.

Ahmadullah Faizi, the airport's director, said the women had been concerned about their security after receiving death threats from people who disapproved of their career.

Read more:  BBC News

A deadly car bomb explosion in central Turkey killed 13 soldiers and wounded 48 others on Saturday, the Turkish military said.

Turkey's state-run Anadolu Agency reported that a car bomb hit a public bus in the central province of Kayseri early Saturday morning, carrying off-duty soldiers near the Erciyes University campus. Police and emergency responders rushed to the site and took the wounded to nearby hospitals, the report added.

“Unfortunately, we have martyrs and wounded,” Kayseri Governor Suleyman Kamci told the Dogan news agency. Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was being briefed on the situation, the Anadolu Agency reported.

Vice Prime Minister Veysi Kaynak told private channel NTV that a "treacherous faction" attacked military personnel who were "training exclusively for the safety of our people." The Turkish military said the people killed in the attack were soldiers.

Read more:  USA Today