Skip Navigation

Homeland Security News

A collection of open-source homeland security and terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Nov 2016

The Manila Police District is investigating two people who may be involved in the bombing attempt near the U.S. Embassy.  National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde clarified — the two are considered "persons of interest" and not suspects pending the result of the probe.  Both are under police custody.

Police said 34-year-old Rayson Kilala Sacdal, also known as Rashid Kilala, was taken in Bulacan at around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. The other person is from Caloocan, but his identity has yet to be revealed.  Albayalde said the two are natives of Marawi City.  They found the two based on reports gathered by intelligence agents and information submitted by concerned citizens following the release of the composite sketch of the person responsible for the foiled bombing.

Read more: CNN Philippines

A Somali immigrant who injured 11 people in an attack at Ohio State University may have been inspired by Islamic State and the late al Qaeda-linked cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, an FBI official told a news conference on Wednesday.

The Islamic State militant group on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the attack a day earlier at the Columbus campus. Al-Awlaki was killed by a U.S. drone strike in 2011.

The attacker, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, used a car on Monday to plow into pedestrians at the school and exited the vehicle and stabbed other victims. He was an Ohio State student and a lawful permanent resident of the United States. 

Read more: Reuters

A citizen of India who received asylum in the U.S. and lived in northern Nevada has pleaded guilty to conspiring to plot a terror strike in the Punjab region of his home country on the border with Pakistan, federal law enforcement officials said Tuesday.  Balwinder Singh, 42, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Larry Hicks in Reno to conspiracy to provide material support and resources to terrorists, a felony that could get him up to 15 years in federal prison and deported following his release. His sentencing was set for Feb. 27.

Singh's defense attorney, Michael Kennedy, noted the plea deal depends on Hicks' approval and the dismissal of an indictment that could have gotten Singh life in U.S. federal prison.  Authorities said at the time that his arrest disrupted a plot by the Babbar Khalsa International and Khalistan Zindabad Force, two terror groups that want an independent Sikh state in the Khalistan region.

Read more: ABC News

Germany's domestic intelligence agency (BfV) confirmed on Wednesday that a 51-year-old man - arrested on suspicion of espionage and planning an Islamist terrorist attack - "radicalized himself undetected." The news follows reports in German magazine "Der Spiegel" on Tuesday that the man's family was not even aware he had converted to Islam in 2014.

The Spanish-born German national was arrested in the western German city of Dusseldorf after allegedly disclosing sensitive information to another user on an extremist chat site. He also allegedly gathered information on the times and details of raids against extremists.

According to prosecutors, the former bank-worker was only hired by the BfV in April, where he joined a new task force, monitoring the ever-growing Salafist scene in Germany.

German daily "Die Welt" also reported that he had also boasted about having a plan in place to carry out an attack on his place of work, though according to authorities he did not appear to have yet taken any concrete steps into carrying it out. The suspect allegedly wrote online that such an attack against "unbelievers" would be "for Allah's purpose." 

Read more: Deutsche Welle 

Belgian police have detained six people and seized a number of knives in anti-terror raids linked to a machete attack on two police officers earlier this year.

The federal prosecutor's office said eight raids were launched Wednesday around the city of Charleroi and that "several knives were seized, including many similar to those used in the attack."

Khaled Babouri, a 33-year-old Algerian, attacked and wounded two women officers with a machete at Charleroi's police station on Aug. 6. He was shot dead by a third officer.
Babouri had been living illegally in Belgium and was twice ordered to leave but failed to do so. He had no prior links to terrorism. Prosecutors declined to provide further details about Wednesday's raids.

News source: ABC News