Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Keyword: worldwide terrorism threats & domestic extremist threats & trends

Britain’s top counter-terrorism police officer Mark Rowley will retire in March, the Metropolitan Police Service said on Tuesday, after a 31-year career in which he led efforts to curb a rise in militant attacks.

Rowley was the public face of the police’s counter-terrorism operations as attacks in Britain soared to their highest ever level last year, and he spearheaded the response to deadly incidents such as the London Bridge attack and the Manchester concert bombing.

Read more: Reuters

A Northern Virginia man arrested as part of an ISIS terrorism investigation conducted by the FBI returned to federal court.

A detention hearing was held for Sean Duncan in U.S. District Court in Alexandria on Monday afternoon. He has been held in jail without bond since his arrest during an FBI raid at his Sterling home on Dec. 29.

According to court documents, the 21-year-old Sterling man is accused of trying to join ISIS. The criminal complaint says, "The FBI's review of Duncan's imaged phone revealed numerous internet searches of ISIS-related material, ISIS attacks, weapons, body armor, surveillance and defense tactics.”

Read more: Fox 5 DC

A detention hearing is scheduled Monday afternoon in Virginia for a former Aspinwall man accused of trying to join ISIS.

Sean Duncan, who is being held in jail without bond, was arrested during an FBI raid at his home in Sterling, Virginia, where he moved in June 2017.
 
Terror suspect held without bond as some evidence against him released
Duncan, 21, was being investigated by Allegheny County police following the suspicious death of his infant son when they learned of his suspected attempt to join ISIS and plan an attack in the United States. Duncan’s phone records were turned over to the FBI.

Read more: WPXI (Pittsburgh)

The suspect in last year's bombing of a German soccer team's bus testified Monday that he carried out the attack on Borussia Dortmund, but didn't intend to kill or hurt anyone.

The 28-year-old suspect, identified only as Sergej W. in line with German privacy rules, is charged with 28 counts of attempted murder, two counts of bodily harm and setting off an explosion. His trial opened last month.

Dortmund defender Marc Bartra and a police officer were injured when three explosions hit the team's bus as it left a hotel in the city of Dortmund for a Champions League game on April 11.

The defendant testified Monday that he was trying to fake an attack and designed the explosives in such a way "that no harm to people could be expected," German news agency dpa reported.

Read more: ABC News

Hundreds of new protective barriers will be permanently installed in Times Square and other locations around New York in an effort to block vehicles from hitting pedestrians after deadly attacks last year on crowds. The city is spending $50 million on protective measures including the installation of 1,500 metal barriers, or bollards, in key locations around the city, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday.

Known around the world for the New Year's Eve ball drop, Times Square is crowded most days with tourists, costumed characters, sightseeing bus hawkers and office workers.

In May, a man said by police to be high on drugs drove through crowds for more than three blocks, killing an 18-year-old tourist from Michigan. The vehicle was eventually stopped by one of the squat metal barriers. Temporary concrete blocks were put up along the Seventh Avenue sidewalk while city officials weighed a long-term solution and considered banning vehicle traffic from the area all together.

Read more: CBS News