Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Aug 26, 2019

The US has slapped three $5 million bounties on a trio of senior Islamic State figures, including a murderous fighter tipped as a potential future leader of the terror group.

US-led forces are hunting Amir Muhammad Said Abdal-Rahman Al Mawla, Sami Jasim Muhammad Al Jaburi and Mu'taz Numan 'Abd Nayif Najm Al Jaburi, all listed as dangerous ISIS deputies.

Al-Mawla, also known as Hajji 'Abdallah, has steadily risen up the group's ranks to emerge as a potential successor to elusive Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, according to the US government.

Read more: 9 News (Australia)

The FBI saw a major increase in tips in the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio — suggesting public awareness and concern about domestic terrorism spiked in the wake of those incidents.

In the first week following those attacks on Aug. 3 and 4, the FBI’s National Threat Operations Center received more than 38,000 tips from the public, according to officials. In an average week in 2019, the NTOC receives about 22,000 such tips, although the number fluctuates.

This month, local police and the FBI made a number of arrests of people in unrelated cases whose statements or stockpiles of weapons concerned authorities that those individuals might be planning attacks. Those arrests, in turn, prompted questions about whether the government had decided to get more aggressive in pursuing potential domestic terror suspects in the wake of El Paso and Dayton.

Read more: Washington Post

Two men arrested by detectives investigating the attempted murder of police officers have been released unconditionally.

A 39-year-old and 35-year-old had been arrested under the Terrorism Act following searches in the Lurgan and Craigavon areas.

It is part of the investigation into the attempted murder of officers in County Armagh and County Fermanagh.

The men had been taken to Musgrave Serious Crime Suite for questioning.

The first incident happened in the Tullygally Road are of Craigavon on Friday 26 July.

Read more: BBC News

Two New York women pleaded guilty on Friday to charges they studied how to make bombs for a terrorist attack on U.S. soil., federal prosecutors said.

Asia Siddiqui, 35, and Noelle Velentzas, 31, were "inspired by radical Islam" and taught each other chemistry and electrical skills necessary to build explosives and detonating devices, Assistant U.S. Attorney John Demers said in a statement. The women also researched how to make plastic explosives and car bombs to carry out attacks similar to the Boston Marathon and Oklahoma City bombings, as well as the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center, authorities said.

Siddiqui and Velentzas pleaded guilty in Brooklyn federal court to one count of teaching and distributing information pertaining to the making and use of an explosive, destructive device, and weapon of mass destruction, intending that it be used to commit a federal crime of violence. The women each face up to 20 years in prison, but the term could be shorter under sentencing guidelines and with credit for the more than four years they’ve already been behind bars awaiting trial. They are due to be sentenced in December.

Read more: Fox News