Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Aug 16, 2019

The NYPD has released a photo of a person of interest wanted for questioning in suspicious package scare at the Fulton Street subway station and near West 16th Street and 7th Avenue on Friday morning.

Two NYPD counterterrorism officers were approached just after 7 a.m. by a subway passenger who noticed the suspicious items at the Fulton Street station.

The items turned out to be rice cookers. One was placed on the mezzanine level and another on the 2/3 platform, placed 25 feet apart from each other.

Investigators later confirmed a third suspicious item, another rice cooker placed near garbage at 16th Street and 7th Avenue, was also related.

Read more: ABC 7 NY

Expressing deep concern about violence tied to white supremacy and other forms of bigotry, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo proposed on Thursday to make New York the first state to classify “hate-fueled” killings as domestic terrorism.

Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, unveiled the proposal in a speech, almost two weeks after back-to-back massacres in El Paso, Tex., and Dayton, Ohio, prompted all-too-familiar cries for action from both political parties.

Describing the need to address the “new violent epidemic” of “hate-fueled, American-on-American terrorism,” Mr. Cuomo called for raising the penalties for violence motivated by race, gender, sexual orientation or other protected classes by making them punishable by up to life in prison without parole.

Read more: New York Times

A powerful bomb went off inside a mosque during Friday prayers in southwest Pakistan, killing at least four people and wounding 20, adding the death toll could rise.

Police said the imam of the mosque, located in the town of Kuchlak some 25km from Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, was killed in the explosion.

"The blast was carried out through a timed device that was planted under the wooden chair of the prayer leader," Quetta's chief of police Abdul Razzaq Chmeea told Reuters news agency.

Cheema added that the wounded were taken to nearby hospitals in Quetta,

No group has claimed responsibility for the blast.

Read more: Al Jazeera

Baltimore, Maryland – A federal grand jury today indicted Stephen Lyle Orback, age 64, on the federal charge of making threatening communications, specifically multiple telephone calls threatening a synagogue.  

The indictment was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Robert K. Hur and Special Agent in Charge Jennifer C. Boone of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Baltimore Field Office.

According to the indictment, between May 12 and May 13, 2019, Orback made multiple telephone calls to an employee of a synagogue in Owings Mills, Maryland, threatening to kill many members of that Jewish congregation.

If convicted, Orback faces a maximum sentence of five years in federal prison.  No initial appearance has been scheduled.  Orback is currently detained in Colorado on unrelated state charges.

An indictment is not a finding of guilt.  An individual charged by indictment is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty at some later criminal proceedings. 

United States Attorney Robert K. Hur commended the FBI for its work in the investigation.  Mr. Hur thanked Assistant U.S. Attorneys P. Michael Cunningham and Mary W. Setzer, who are prosecuting the case.

Source: DOJ

A citizen of Uzbekistan living in New Haven pleaded guilty Thursday to trying to raise money to send other U.S. residents to fight for the Islamic State in Syria.

Azizjon Rakhmatov, 32, entered his plea before United States District Court Judge William F. Kuntz, II in New York as part of a years-long investigation into a group of immigrants from Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan who tried to support people hoping to travel to Syria to fight for ISIS or tried to travel there themselves.

Rakhmatov was associated with two men who planned to travel to Syria and to fight for ISIS, Abdurasul Juraboev and Akhror Saidakhmetov, who both previously pleaded guilty and have been sentenced to 15 years in prison, prosecutors said.

Read more: Hartford Courant