Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Jul 2019

Investigators who searched the Nevada home of the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooter found the makings of a massive attack, including a gas mask, bulletproof vest and empty boxes of ammunition, along with reading material on white supremacy and radical Islam, federal law enforcement sources said Tuesday.

The search of the apartment in the desolate town of Walker Lake, in Mineral County, also turned up a knife, a gun light, a camouflage backpack, gun pamphlets, computers and numerous electronic hard drives, an empty bottle of Valium, and a mysterious letter from “Virginia to Santino,” apparently referring to 19-year-old gunman Santino William Legan, according to copies of a search warrant released Tuesday.

Much about Legan and what motivated his attack remains unknown, but the items found in his rented apartment, along with evidence collected in and around the festival site, paint a clearer picture of a planned attack meant to cause massive death and injury.

Legan did not have much of an online presence. But right before his attack, photos were posted to an Instagram account under his name that referenced a book associated with white supremacy. Fair said the account, which was taken down shortly after the shooting, has not yet been definitively tied to Legan.

In interviews with investigators, one of Legan’s brothers said Legan was a loner and in the days before the shooting he gave away pieces of property to people, according to a federal law enforcement source.

As in Walker Lake, Legan did not seem to make much of an impression in Gilroy or Watsonville, where people who went to school with him said they could barely recall his name or face.

Read more: San Francisco Chronicle 

A roadside bomb tore through a bus in western Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing at least 34 people, including children, Afghan officials said. Farooq Delaware, spokesman for the governor of Farah province, confirmed the death toll to CBS News and said 17 others were injured in the blast.

Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for President Ashraf Ghani, gave the same casualty toll and said the bomb had been planted by the Taliban.

"Taliban planted mines kill civilians," Seddiqi said. "A passenger bus hit a roadside bomb, planted by Taliban on Herat-Kandahar highway that resulted in the killing of 34 passengers and wounding 17 others including women and children. All victims are civilians."

Read more: CBS News

British investigators have enough evidence to prosecute two of the so-called Islamic State "Beatles" in the UK, the Supreme Court has been told.

El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey are accused of belonging to an IS cell which is thought to have kidnapped and murdered Western hostages in Syria.

They are currently being held in northern Syria.

The US wants to use evidence amassed by British investigators to put both men on trial there.

However, Washington is refusing to give the UK a standard assurance that neither man would be executed if convicted.

Read more: BBC News

Islamic State said via its Amaq news agency that it killed or wounded more than 40 soldiers in the northeast Nigerian state of Borno in two separate attacks on Tuesday.

The group said militants attacked a military post in Baga and killed at least 15 soldiers before carrying out a second attack on an army barracks in the town of Benisheik, where they killed or wounded around 25 more.

Locals and military sources told Reuters there were clashes between insurgents and soldiers in the state on Monday and Tuesday. Reuters was unable to immediately verify the number of people killed or injured in those clashes.

Read more: Reuters

Mr. Hayat’s case had put a spotlight on the farming town of Lodi, Calif., where the authorities said men were financing terrorist groups abroad and recruiting members.

A federal judge on Tuesday overturned the 2006 conviction of a California man accused of training in a Pakistani terrorist camp and lying to the F.B.I. about it, undoing a case once heralded by federal prosecutors after the Sept. 11 attacks as a proactive victory against terrorism.

Read more: New York Times