Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Feb 12, 2019

A tree planted in a Paris suburb in memory of a young Jewish man who was tortured to death in 2006 has been chopped down, authorities said Monday, confirming the latest in a series of anti-Semitic acts in France. 

Ilan Halimi was kidnapped by a gang that demanded huge sums of money from his family, believing them to be rich because he was Jewish.

After being tortured for three weeks, the 23-year-old cellphone salesman was found dumped next to a railway in the southern suburb of Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois. He died while being brought to hospital.

On Monday, municipal workers sent to prepare a memorial site for an annual remembrance ceremony this week discovered that a tree planted in his honour had been chopped down and a second one partly sawn through, local officials told AFP.

The police are investigating the incident, which the French government’s special representative on racism, anti-Semitism and discrimination, Frederic Potier, described as “ignominious”.

It is the latest in a series of anti-Semitic acts and attacks that have raised fears of a new wave of anti-Jewish violence in a country that is home to Europe’s biggest Jewish population.

Anti-Semitic acts surged by 74 percent last year, from 311 in 2017 to 541 in 2018, French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said Monday.

Read more: France 24


 

ISIS chiefs have stashed away millions to fund a new wave of attacks against Britain and the West - as the terror group faces being stamped out once and for all.

U.N. experts believe the group has around $300 million stored in "bulk" - with one report warning it will be used to fund "larger-scale attacks once the opportunity arises."

The warning comes as ISIS face being finally routed in Syria as fighters supported by British and U.S. special forces close in for the kill.

On Monday, Kurdish-led coalition forces battled to clear the village of Baghouz, where the remaining jihadis are holed up in fortified positions. But the operation was slowed by landmines and sniper fire as fighters desperately battled to hold off the onslaught.

A U.N. Security Council report into the threat posed by ISIS warned the group still has up to 18,000 armed terrorists ready to fight to the death.

Read more: Fox News

Authorities say a federal grand jury has indicted two members of an Ohio militia group on charges involving explosive devices.

The federal indictment unsealed Monday in Cincinnati charges 37-year-old Ryan King, of Franklin, and 53-year-old Randy Goodman, of Ripley, with conspiracy to possess a destructive device in violation of the National Firearms Act and possession of an unregistered destructive device.

A Justice Department news release says the men established a United Sheepdogs of Ohio militia group subset they referred to as the "Special Projects Team" and advocated the team construct and use explosives they called "crater makers."

Read more: US News and World Report

The FBI says two improvised explosive devices connected to an alleged plot to attack a Muslim community were capable of exploding.

The information was released in court Monday, where the youngest of the four people accused of making the plot appeared.

Two months before his arrest, prosecutors say, Nicholas Pheilshifter showed a friend a plastic tube covered in duct tape and called it a bomb.

Prosecutors say that’s enough to keep the 16-year-old charged as an adult.

Read more: CNY Central

The alleged ringleader of a foiled plot to massacre Somali Muslims in southwest Kansas is appealing his conviction and prison sentence.

The attorney representing Patrick Stein filed Monday a formal notice of appeal to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. Stein was one of three militia members convicted of planning to blow up a mosque and apartments housing Somalis in Garden City.

A judge sentenced Stein last month to 30 years for conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction and 10 years for conspiracy against civil rights. The sentences will run concurrently.

Stein will also return to federal court on Feb. 22 for a change-of-plea hearing and sentencing in a separate indictment alleging possession of child pornography. The material was discovered during searches in the bomb case.

Read more: KFDI