Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Jan 28, 2019

An Italian anti-terrorism unit is investigating graffiti on a wall in Milan inciting violence against Italy's firebrand interior minister, Matteo Salvini.

The blue lettering that appeared Thursday urges: "Don't shoot blanks. Shoot Salvini." It bears a red A inside a circle, a typical anarchist symbol, and the figure of Salvini in a law enforcement uniform.

Salvini responded to the threat saying, "nothing and no one scares me, or will stop me."

The call to violence was condemned by politicians across the spectrum, recalling the so-called "Years of Lead" from the late 1960s into the early 1980s, marked by left-wing and right-wing political violence.

Read more: San Francisco Chronicle

The U.S. military's cybersecurity capabilities aren't advancing fast enough to stay ahead of the "onslaught of multipronged" attacks envisioned by adversaries, the Pentagon's combat testing office is warning.

Despite some progress in fending off attacks staged by in-house "Red Teams," the testing office said, "We estimate that the rate of these improvements is not outpacing the growing capabilities of potential adversaries who continue to find new vulnerabilities and techniques to counter fixes."

Automation and artificial intelligence are beginning to "make profound changes to the cyber domain," a threat that the military hasn't yet fully grasped how to counter, Robert Behler, the Defense Department's director of operational test and evaluation, said in his annual assessment of cyber threats, which was obtained by Bloomberg News.

The test office's findings may be discussed on Tuesday during a Senate Armed Services hearing focused on Pentagon cyber policy with Chief Information Officer Dana Deasy.

The evaluation, part of the testing office's annual report that may be released as early as this week, comes amid other critical appraisals of the military's ability to maintain and improves its defense against computer attacks.

Read more: Stars and Stripes

American and Taliban officials have agreed in principle to the framework of a deal in which the insurgents would guarantee to prevent Afghan territory from being used by terrorists, and that could lead to a full pullout of American troops in return for larger concessions from the Taliban, the chief United States negotiator said Monday.

The American envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, said those concessions must include the Taliban’s agreeing to a cease-fire and to talk directly with the Afghan government, issues that the insurgents have doggedly opposed in the past.

“We have a draft of the framework that has to be fleshed out before it becomes an agreement,” Mr. Khalilzad said in an interview with The New York Times in Kabul. “The Taliban have committed, to our satisfaction, to do what is necessary that would prevent Afghanistan from ever becoming a platform for international terrorist groups or individuals.”

Read more: New York Times

A Texas man captured in Syria -- where he said he joined the Islamic State -- has been brought back to the U.S. on a terrorism-related charge.

Warren Christopher Clark, 34, appeared before a judge Friday in Houston Federal Court on an indictment accusing him of attempting to provide material support to the terrorist group. The judge ordered Clark held without bail pending a detention hearing Wednesday, according to reports.

U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces gave Clark to the FBI after announcing his capture earlier this month.

The George Washington University's Program on Extremism found Clark had sent ISIS a resume seeking a job as an English teacher.

Read more: Fox News

Two suicide bombers struck the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Jolo, Sulu earlier today. The twin bombings were quickly claimed by the Islamic State, which has long sought to terrorize Christian houses of worship in the Philippines. 

The Islamic State describes the target as a “Christian temple,” saying that it was bombed during a “gathering of the Crusaders to perform their polytheist rituals.” The first suicide bomber purportedly “detonated his explosive belt at the gate,” while the second blew himself up in or near a “parking garage.” 

Authorities in the Philippines quickly pointed the finger at the Abu Sayyaf Group, which has a long history of targeting Christians. The Abu Sayyaf Group, which was affiliated with al Qaeda, swore allegiance to the Islamic State in June 2016. It is not clear how many members of the group remained loyal to the so-called caliphate after the death of Isnilon Hapilon, the Abu Sayyaf leader who swore his fealty to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, in 2017. But some of its factions are clearly still part of the Islamic State’s network, which has worked to enhance the operational capacity and connectivity of jihadists in the region. 

The Islamic State has encouraged its loyalists to strike churches and Christians around the globe. A family of Islamic State supporters carried out suicide bombings at three churches in the Indonesian city of Surabaya in May 2018. Egypt’s Coptic Christians are frequent victims of the jihadists, as churches and civilians have been attacked multiple times. In Feb. 2015, the Islamic State’s Libyan arm released a grisly video documenting the mass murder of 21 Egyptian Copts on the coast of the Mediterranean. 

On July 26, 2016, a pair of jihadists assaulted a church during morning mass in Normandy, France, killing an elderly priest and taking several people hostage before being gunned down by police. The Islamic State’s Amaq News Agency released a video showing the two swearing an oath of allegiance to Baghdadi shortly before carrying out the murder. 

In June 2017, the Islamic State’s Amaq News Agency released a video showing the destruction of a church inside the city of Marawi. The jihadists briefly held the southern Philippines city before being ejected by the military and security forces. 

Read more: Long War Journal