Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Jan 11, 2019

America's Kurdish allies in Syria, currently fretting over when the Trump administration will pull out the 2,000 U.S. troops who guarantee their safety, said Wednesday that they had apprehended an American teenager fighting with ISIS. If confirmed, the teen would be at least the second U.S. national held by the Kurds in Syria, among hundreds of captured foreign fighters whose fate is a major concern for U.S. officials trying to implement President Trump's order to withdraw American forces from the country.

The Kurdish militia known as the YPG, which has been the U.S. military's most valuable ally in the fight against ISIS in Syria, said eight foreign fighters were caught on Sunday and Monday in eastern Syria, about 15 miles from the Iraqi border.

Read more: CBS News

A lawyer has criticised the lack of action before the London Bridge and Borough Market terror attack, saying pavements were "wide open" despite a similar atrocity three months earlier.

Gareth Patterson QC, who is representing six families of victims of the June 2017 attack, set out his key concerns ahead of a full inquest at the Old Bailey starting on May 7.

He will also lament the apparent lack of security measures in place at rental companies, saying that no lessons had been learned from the Westminster attack in which four people were killed by a terrorist in a hire car.

Read more: MSN

An Ohio man and his girlfriend who are accused of obtaining guns and explosives for a foiled domestic terror attack have pleaded not guilty.

Vincent Armstrong, and his girlfriend, Elizabeth Lecron, both 23, entered their pleas Thursday to multiple charges, including conspiracy to transport or receive an explosive with intent to kill or injure.

Prosecutors say the Toledo pair had talked about taking part in violent attacks on public places and had bomb-making materials and weapons inside their home.

Investigators also say the couple traveled to see the site of the Columbine High School massacre.

They were arrested in early December following a six-month investigation.

Read more: WFMJ

Victoria Police and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) arrested 49-year-old Savas Avan at his Shepparton home in northern Victoria last night.

He was charged with sending dangerous articles to be carried by a postal service and has been remanded in custody following a Melbourne Magistrates' Court hearing this morning.

Police alleged Mr Avan sent 38 parcels containing asbestos to consulates and embassies in the three cities on January 7.

In an earlier statement, the AFP said it believed the substance in the packages was sourced from his Shepparton home.

Read more: ABC News (Australia)