Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Aug 7, 2018

Spanish media are publishing previously unseen photographs of some of the men authorities identified as the extremists behind last year's terror attacks in Barcelona and a nearby resort town.

La Vanguardia newspaper reported Tuesday that the photos were leaked from the police investigation of the Aug. 17-18 vehicle attacks that left 16 people dead and were claimed by the Islamic State group.

The photos feature 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaquoub, who was identified as the driver of a van that plowed through Barcelona's Las Ramblas promenade and killed 13 people.

Also seen are one of the five men identified as the Cambrils attackers and a man whose body was found at a house the extremists allegedly used as an explosives workshop.

King Felipe VI and Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez are scheduled to attend anniversary ceremonies on Aug. 17 to mark the attacks.

Read more: WJLA

A judge denied bond Monday for a man accused of owning bomb-making materials and threatening to blow up a school. The judge said 32-year-old Paul Longoria posed an "unreasonable danger to the public."

Investigators arrested Longoria in Carrollton on July 31 after police found pipe, wires, triggers, and chemicals inside his home. The investigation began after the FBI said online threats were made from inside the house. The FBI executed a search warrant for the electronic devices used to make those threats. That's when investigators found the materials.

When Longoria appeared for his bond hearing on Monday, his attorney, Stephen Plott, said the threat was to shoot up a school with an AR-15, but that no specific school was named. He said that while there were chemicals, gunpowder, and AR-15s in his client's home, nothing was assembled. Plott told the court that Longoria's neighbors had not complained about him and that there was "no evidence of a bomb being made." Plott added that his client was "completely innocent."

Read more: 13 News Now

Malaysia's new government has shut down a Saudi-backed anti-terrorism center, just over a year after it was launched by the kingdom's ruling monarch during a visit here last year.

Defense Minister Mohamad Sabu said in a written reply to a question in parliament on Monday that the King Salman Center for International Peace will cease operation immediately and that its function will be absorbed by the Malaysian Institute of Defense and Security.

He didn't give a reason for the closure.

The center, which aims to draw Islamic scholars to combat extremist views and promote tolerance, was announced in March last year during King Salman's visit to Malaysia under former Malaysian leader Najib Razak. It has a temporary office in Kuala Lumpur while awaiting the construction of a permanent building in Malaysia's administrative capital of Putrajaya.

Read more: Minneapolis Star Tribune

Again and again over the past two years, a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia and backed by the United States has claimed it won decisive victories that drove al-Qaida militants from their strongholds across Yemen and shattered their ability to attack the West.

Here’s what the victors did not disclose: many of their conquests came without firing a shot.

That’s because the coalition cut secret deals with al-Qaida fighters, paying some to leave key cities and towns and letting others retreat with weapons, equipment and wads of looted cash, an investigation by The Associated Press has found. Hundreds more were recruited to join the coalition itself.

These compromises and alliances have allowed al-Qaida militants to survive to fight another day — and risk strengthening the most dangerous branch of the terror network that carried out the 9/11 attacks. Key participants in the pacts said the U.S. was aware of the arrangements and held off on any drone strikes.

The deals uncovered by the AP reflect the contradictory interests of the two wars being waged simultaneously in this southwestern corner of the Arabian Peninsula.

 

Read more:  AP

A string of Taliban attacks in western and eastern Afghanistan have left at least 12 people dead, including four women who died in the crossfire during a shootout between insurgents and the military, Afghan officials said Tuesday.

In western Farah province, the Taliban attacked a military checkpoint, killing four troops and wounding six, according to Mohammad Naser Mehri, the provincial governor’s spokesman.

The attack in Bala Buluk district started late on Monday night and lasted until around dawn on Tuesday. Mehri said the Afghan air force was called in and airstrikes later killed 19 Taliban fighters and wounded 30.

“The Taliban were pushed back and the situation is under control now,” he added.

In eastern Logar province, four women were killed and four children were wounded in the crossfire during a shootout between insurgents and the military.

The fighting took place near Puli Alim, the provincial capital, on Monday afternoon, said Hasibullah Stanikzai, a provincial council member. He added that “an investigation is underway to determine which side caused the civilian casualties.”

Also on Monday night, the Taliban attacked a police checkpoint in eastern Ghazni province, killing four policemen and wounding five, said Arif Noori, spokesman for the provincial governor. He said the battle in Jaghatu district lasted for three hours.

There was no immediate comment on any of the attacks from the Taliban, who have stepped up their assaults across Afghanistan in recent months.

 

Read more:  The Washington Post