Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Jun 4, 2018

A British man tried to use knives to strike at the “heart of democracy” four weeks after the Westminster terrorist attack, a court has heard.

Khalid Ali, 28, allegedly left his family to make bombs for the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2011, the Old Bailey heard.

After five years, he returned to Britain to deliver a deadly “message” to the government, jurors were told. When he was arrested by British armed police near parliament last year, he was carrying three knives.

Brian Altman QC, prosecuting, told jurors Ali’s potential targets included MPs, police and the military. He said: “On Thursday 27 April last year, this defendant, Khalid Ali, was arrested by armed police officers in Whitehall in Westminster.

Read more: The Guardian (UK)

A Williamsburg man who traveled to Jordan in a failed attempt to contact a terrorist group and then tried to join the U.S. military was sentenced Monday to five years in prison.

Shivam Patel, 28, also was ordered to pay $4,000 in fines in connection with two counts of making false statements during his military application process.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Bosse and defense attorney Timothy Clancy declined to comment. In court, the prosecution asked for a sentence of eight years in prison while the defense wanted time served – about 11 months.

Federal guidelines called for a sentence of between 8 and 14 months.

Read more: The Virginian-Pilot

A Central Valley man arrested in a plot to stage a Christmas Day bombing and shooting attack at San Francisco’s Pier 39 pleaded guilty Monday to attempting to provide support to ISIS in a plea deal with federal prosecutors.

Everitt Aaron Jameson now faces 15 years in federal prison when he is sentenced on Sept. 4.

As part of the plea deal, prosecutors dropped a second charge of distributing bomb-making information.

The 26-year-old ex-U.S. Marine was working as a tow truck driver in the Modesto area when he allegedly spoke to an FBI informant whom he believed was an ISIS leader.

Read more: CBS San Francisco

A teenager has been found guilty of plotting a terror attack on the British Museum in London with Britain's first all-woman cell.

Safaa Boular, 18, of Vauxhall, London, has become Britain's youngest convicted female Islamic State terrorist.

A jury at the Old Bailey found her guilty of two offences of preparation of terrorism acts.

She was also found guilty over an earlier attempt to travel to Syria for terrorism.

Boular was accused of planning to travel to Syria to join IS militants and later preparing to carry out a terrorist attack in London after her fiancé, an Islamic State fighter, died.

Her sister Rizlaine 22, of Clerkenwell, London, has already admitted planning a knife attack on London and their mother Mina Dich, 44, has pleaded guilty to assisting her.

Boular will be sentenced in around six weeks time.

During her trial, the court heard how Boular - then 17 - plotted a gun and grenade attack at the British Museum.

The sisters and Dich discussed their plans using Alice in Wonderland coded language, with Rizlaine as the Mad Hatter.

 

 

Source:  BBC News

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that a bomb blast in northern Syria targeted a military vehicle on Monday on the road from Ain Issa to a military base where some of the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State are located.

The blast killed at least one person and injured others of unknown nationality, the Britain-based war monitor reported, in an area controlled by the coalition-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias.

Spokesmen for the U.S.-led coalition and the SDF were not immediately available for comment.

 

Source:  Reuters