Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Nov 9, 2018

A man facing charges in Northern Ireland over the alleged murder of two soldiers in 1972, a decade before his alleged involvement in the Hyde Park bombing atrocity, has been granted bail by the high court in Dublin.

John Downey, 66, was released from Cloverhill prison in the city on Thursday evening after bail of €35,000 (£30,000) was approved by the judge, Justice Aileen Donnelly.

The Garda Síochána arrested him on Monday at his home in Co Donegal on foot of a European extradition warrant over the deaths of L/Cpl Alfred Johnston, 32, and Pte James Eames, 33, two soldiers from the Ulster Defence Regiment who were killed by an IRA bomb in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, on 25 August 1972.

Read more: The Guardian (UK)

A viral clip of an interaction between CNN reporter Jim Acosta and a White House intern has sparked an intense online debate over whether it was doctored—a harbinger of the polarization that’s likely to follow if manufactured videos known as “deep fakes” become widespread.

The clip, a tweaked version of a video showing Acosta and a White House staffer who attempted to take his microphone at a press conference Wednesday, was posted by Paul Joseph Watson of conspiracy site Infowars as evidence that Acosta acted aggressively. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders then posted the video on Twitter, saying it backed up the White House’s decision to revoke Acosta’s White House press pass.

Read more: Forbes

At least 17 people were killed when suicide attackers set off two car bombs at a hotel near the headquarters of Somalia’s Criminal Investigations Department in Mogadishu on Friday, police said.

“So far we have confirmed 17 civilians dead. They were traveling in public vehicles at the scene when the blasts and gunfire occurred. The death toll is sure to rise,” Ali Nur, a police officer in the city, told Reuters.

Read more: Reuters

A lone terrorist was responsible for a deadly stabbing attack that unfolded on Bourke Street in Melbourne's CBD on Friday afternoon.

One man was killed and two others injured after being stabbed by a man who set a ute alight outside the Target store near the busy intersection of Bourke and Swanston streets.

The attacker, who was a 31-year-old Somali community member known to ASIO, was shot by police after he repeatedly lunged at them with a knife.

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition, but died on the operating table.

Read more: Sydney Morning Herald