Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Nov 1, 2018

The Florida man charged with sending bombs to several prominent Democrats, as well as to CNN's headquarters, "conducted a domestic terror attack," federal prosecutors said in a new court filing.

Cesar Sayoc, 56, targeted former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and a dozen others with explosive devices containing "shards of glass that could only have been intended to maximize harm to the defendant's victims," according to court papers.

Prosecutors allege that based on their searches of Sayoc's electronic devices, he started planning the attack as early as late July.

Read more: NBC News

Robert Bowers chose no party when he registered to vote in 1995, then associated with some of the region's more strident conservatives and finally ended his political evolution in one of the most extreme corners of the social media universe.

Mr. Bowers, 46, of Baldwin Borough, is now charged with 11 counts of homicide, six counts of attempted homicide, plus 29 federal counts in association with the Squirrel Hill shootings which have, since Saturday, come to dominate the national political discourse. In the days and even hours before the massacre, he posted and reposted, under the handle @onedingo, virulently anti-immigrant and anti-Semitic memes and screeds on the conservative social media site Gab.com.

There was a time, though, when he was a bit player in a far more mainstream outlet for political talk.

Read more: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Chicago man had photographs of bombing materials on his phone and offered to make a new pledge of allegiance to Islamic State terrorists shortly before his arrest this month, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.

The allegation was enough to convince U.S. Magistrate Judge David Weisman to order Ashraf Al Safoo, 34, held in custody at the end of an afternoon hearing. The computer engineer was charged earlier this month with using social media to help ISIS recruit operatives.

Al Safoo’s defense attorney insisted there was “no context” for the images on the phone, and the judge acknowledged that photos may appear on a person’s phone uninvited. Still, he pointed to the allegations already leveled against Al Safoo.

Read more: Chicago Sun Times

The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces have announced a pause in their campaign against ISIS following clashes between the SDF and Turkish forces, according to two US military officials and a statement from the SDF.

The US-led coalition fighting ISIS has conducted scores of air and artillery strikes in recent weeks as it has sought to drive ISIS from its last stronghold east of the Euphrates River in Syria.
ISIS has been driven to just a few towns in the area and the US and its coalition allies conducted 184 air and artillery strikes last week targeting the terror group's last remaining territory, striking command and control centers, weapons caches and vehicles.

Read more: CNN