Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Oct 31, 2018

Russia opened an investigation into suspected terrorism after a 17-year-old youth blew himself up on Wednesday in the lobby of an office belonging to Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) in the north of the country.

Russia's Investigative Committee said the unnamed teenager had detonated a homemade bomb in the lobby of the FSB, the country's main domestic security and intelligence service, in the city of Arkhangelsk. It said he had died on the spot.

Investigators said they had identified the teenager as a resident of the city, which is around 20 miles north of Moscow, but did not name him.

Three FSB employees were wounded in the blast, the Investigative Committee said in a statement.

Read more: NBC News

The man accused of sending bomb-like devices to at least 15 high-profile Democratic lawmakers, celebrities and CNN had been planning since at least July, according to a letter filed Tuesday night in federal court.

Cesar Sayoc, 56, was arrested Friday after a string of packages containing explosives were discovered across the country. A letter from prosecutors sent to U.S. Judge Edwin Torres in Miami details some of the evidence against Sayoc and argues he should stay behind bars until his trial, which prosecutors plan to hold in New York.

"The evidence of the defendant’s terror campaign is still being collected but is already overwhelming," prosecutors wrote in the letter. "The defendant conducted a domestic terrorist attack targeting at least 15 victims with improvised explosive devices ("IEDs") that he sent to locations throughout the country in padded mailing envelopes."

Read more: USA Today

Police in Moscow and St. Petersburg have detained about 50 people taking part in unauthorized demonstrations against a criminal case filed against 10 young Russians for allegedly taking part in in extremist group that aimed to overthrow the government.

Lawyers for the 10 suspects who were arrested in March say undercover police fabricated the case, writing the group's radical program and encouraging members to have shooting practice.

Four of those charged are jailed and the others are under house arrest.

Read more: ABC News

Algerian-Irish jihadist Ali Charaf Damache, who pleaded guilty to terrorism charges in July, has been sentenced to 15 years in jail, prosecutors in Philadelphia said.

Damache, 53, known by the online pseudonym "Theblackflag," was arrested in Spain in 2015, where he was suspected of plotting the murder of a Swedish cartoonist who had lampooned the Prophet Mohammed.

He was extradited to the United States in 2017, accused of being the ringleader of a jihadist cell that was plotting attacks in Europe and southern Asia.

"Today's sentencing marks the end of a long and arduous prosecution that has spanned more than nine years, involved four defendants and five unnamed co-conspirators, and required multiple coordinated international arrests and two extradition applications," US Attorney William McSwain said in a statement.

Read more: RTÉ (Ireland)

The trial of Akayed Ullah, who the authorities say tried to blow himself up with a pipe bomb in a subway passage last year, is underway.

The New York Times reporter Benjamin Weiser, who is covering the trial in federal court in Manhattan, said jury selection was expected to conclude today. The jury was also expected to hear opening statements by a prosecutor and Mr. Ullah’s lawyer.

The trial comes at a moment of high tension in the country, just days after pipe bombs were mailed to prominent Democrats and opponents of President Trump, and a gunman killed 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburgh.

Read more: New York Times