Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Oct 1, 2018

The US State Department on September 28 announced the evacuation of personnel from the consulate in Basra, Iraq, citing “security threats from Iran.”

A day earlier, Iraqi media outlets reported that mortar shell or rockets landed near the consulate, though an “anonymous” Iraqi security source said that no strikes had taken place. Another “anonymous senior Iraqi official” told the Washington Post, “We are not aware of any intention by Iran or its friends in Iraq to attack American diplomats or the consulate.”

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, however, has contradicted the unnamed Iraqi officials, corroborating initial media reports about “indirect fire…within the past 24 hours” against the consulate. He said Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) ordered the strike. That would mark the third known such attack against US missions in Iraq in the past month.

“Threats to our personnel and facilities in Iraq from the Government of Iran, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds Force, and from militias facilitated by and under the control and direction of the Quds Force leader Qasem Soleimani have increased over the past several weeks,” he said in a press release.

Read more: Long War Journal
 

Germany's state prosecutor has ordered the arrest of six men charged with forming a far-right terror group known as "Revolution Chemnitz." The men are accused of planning attacks on migrants in eastern Germany.

Some 100 police officers raided several properties in the German states of Saxony and Bavaria early on Monday morning as part of an investigation into a far-right terror group called "Revolution Chemnitz," named after the eastern German city that was the scene of recent far-right demonstrations following the killing of a German man allegedly by migrants. 

The six men arrested, aged between 20 and 30, are suspected of forming a terrorist organization under the leadership of 31-year-old Christian K., who had already been arrested on September 14.

According to Germany's state prosecutors, the men were planning attacks on "foreigners" and people who did not share their political views. Batons, an air-rifle, and computer hard drives were seized during the raids.

Investigators said there was evidence this had been a "practice run" for a larger attack planned for October 3, a national holiday celebrating Germany's reunification.

Read more: Deutsche Welle 

A flock of 58 doves was released at somber sunrise remembrance ceremony Monday in Las Vegas that started a day of memorials to honor the lives lost when a gunman opened fire on a crowd attending an outdoor country music concert a year ago in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Several hundred people including survivors , families of victims, first-responders and elected officials gathered at an outdoor amphitheater for the daybreak event to honor the 58 people who were killed and the 400 who were wounded.

From across neon-lit Las Vegas Boulevard, a gambler-turned-gunman with what police later called a meticulous plan but an unknown reason fired assault-style rifles for 11 minutes from 32nd-floor windows of the Mandalay Bay hotel into the concert crowd below. Police said he then put a pistol in his mouth and killed himself.

Medical examiners later determined that all 58 deaths were from gunshots. Another 413 people were wounded, and police said at least 456 were injured fleeing the carnage.

Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo spoke at the sunrise event, recalling the chaos and confusion of the night.

Read more: AP