Skip Navigation

Terrorism News

A collection of open-source terrorism news from around the world.
Date: Jun 20, 2017

Police say they are unable to confirm media reports that the suspect was wearing an explosive belt and had wires coming out of their clothes.

The incident has taken place at Brussels Central - one of the country's busiest stations - and officials say the situation is now under control.

A police spokesman said: "There was an explosion around a person. That person was neutralised by the soldiers that were on the scene."

It is not clear whether the person who was shot is still alive - but apart from the suspect, no other casualties have been reported.

Read more: Sky News

A man who shouted “Allahu Akbar” in a Lausanne metro station last Friday was suffering from paranoia at the time, according to the prosecutor who has charged him with ‘threats causing public alarm’. 

The 30-year-old Swiss resident, of west African origin, was arrested after he shouted the phrase – meaning ‘God is greatest’ – at the Bessières metro stop at around 1.30pm, causing panic among people using the M2 metro line. 
 
According to a witness who spoke to newspaper 24 Heures, people ran from the metro when they heard the Arabic phrase – which has been said by people committing terrorist attacks – and rushed into the elevator to take them up to street level. 
 
“We wondered if we were going to hear an explosion behind us,” said the witness.  Several people then called the police. 
 
Interviewed by the authorities, the man said he was having a paranoid episode and was calling upon God to help him, reported 24 Heures. Charged with making threats causing public alarm, the man has been released from custody pending a hearing. Examined by a doctor, he was judged to be neither a flight risk nor a threat, said the paper. 

Source: The Local.ch

Two Dutch journalists have been abducted in Colombia in an area near the Venezuelan border. Derk Bolt and Eugenio Follender went missing at the weekend in Catatumbo, a region where several armed groups operate, including the left-wing ELN. 

Last year the ELN rebel group kidnapped a Spanish journalist and several Colombians in the same area. All were later released.

The ELN is the second largest left-wing guerrilla group in Colombia, behind the Farc. The Farc signed a peace deal with the government last November and are already disarming and preparing to enter civilian life. The ELN only started peace talks in February this year.

The group has insisted on a bilateral ceasefire but the government says this would be conditional on the ELN ending kidnapping - something that has not yet happened.

Read more: BBC News

British media have identified the suspect held in connection with the van attack outside a London mosque as Darren Osborne, from the Welsh city of Cardiff. He is being held on suspicion of attempted murder and alleged terror offenses. British media report that some of Osborne's neighbors have described the father of four as "aggressive" and "strange."

Witnesses said Osborne claimed he wanted to "kill all Muslims" after he drove into a crowd leaving a mosque early Monday morning. One man who was receiving first aid at the time of the attack died; it's unclear if his death was a result of the attack or from a previous condition.

Osborne was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism including murder and attempted murder.

Read more: AP

At least 15 people are dead after a suicide car bomber posing as a milk delivery van detonated at a district headquarters in Somalia’s capital, police said Tuesday.

The death toll may rise, as some of the at least nine people wounded were badly hurt in the explosion at Wadajir district headquarters in Mogadishu, Capt. Mohamed Hussein told The Associated Press.

Most of the dead were civilians, Hussein said.

The al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab extremist group quickly claimed responsibility for the attack via its Shahada News Agency, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadist groups.

The blast comes less than a week after al-Shabab gunmen carried out an overnight siege on a popular restaurant in the Somali capital, killing at least 31 people.

The Somalia-based al-Shabab often targets high-profile areas of Mogadishu, including hotels, military checkpoints and areas near the presidential palace. It has vowed to step up attacks after the recently elected government launched a new military offensive against it.

Al-Shabab last year became the deadliest Islamic extremist group in Africa, with more than 4,200 people killed in 2016, according to the Washington-based Africa Center for Strategic Studies.

The extremist group also faces a new military push from the United States after President Donald Trump approved expanded operations, including airstrikes, against al-Shabab.

Source:  AP